Harry Charles Pigerham was a Londoner who, after working as a radio salesman, in 1938 joined Essex County Constabulary. Three years later, when posted to Chelmsford, he joined the R.A.F. and was sent to Canada to train. He was killed in a flying accident in Ontario in August 1942.

Harry was born on 4th March 1916 in Highgate, London, the son of Harry Pigerham (1884-1942) and Phoebe Charlotte  Pigerham (nee Henderson) (1879-1978). His parents had married at St Mark's Church, Myddleton Square in London on 29th May 1915. Harry had a younger sister, Elsie May Pigerham (1921-1982).

In 1932 Harry appeared before Harlow magistrates with his father. The Essex Chronicle reported:

"POLICE NEWS HARLOW, July 2. The Licence. Harry Charles Pigerham, of Debden Green, Saffron Walden, was summoned for driving a motor lorry at Harlow May 29 without a driving licence, and his father, Harry Pigerham, was summoned for aiding and abetting.— P.c. Hammond stated that he stopped defendant, and asked to see his driving licence. said he had not got it with him. Witness gave him a form, requesting him to produce the licence at Saffron Walden Police Station within five days. The elder defendant heard the conversation and said he would see the licence was produced.—Supt. Rolfe said the younger defendant, who was only just 17, had never had a licence, but one had now been taken out.—The elder defendant said his son was driving the lorry as he himself was unable do so, having a poisoned foot.—Fined 5/- each."

Harry worked as a radio salesman for Curry Limited of Bishop's Stortford in Hertfordshire. On 13th June 1938, despite his earlier brush with the law, he joined Essex County Constabulary. His first posting after Headquarters' training was to Grays from 6th August 1938. He moved to Tilbury from 1st January 1939, and then worked at Romford from 5th August 1939, and finally Chelmsford from 4th December 1939.

Harry left Essex County Constabulary to join the R.A.F. on 11th August 1941 and served as Aircraftman 1320030. Harry went to Canada to train.

Harry Charles PIGERHAM, Aircraftman, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Killed in a flying accident in Canada. Aged 26

However, on 14th August 1942 Harry was one of three men killed during training with No. 31 Bombing & Gunnery School at at Picton, Ontario in Canada, when their Fairey Battle Bomber (L5427) crashed at Soup Harbour, near Point Petre. He was 26 years old.

The other men killed were Leading Aircraftman 655518 David Noel Jones (aged 24) and Sergeant 41385 Pilot Blythe Kempton-Werohia, (aged 21), of the Royal New Zealand Air Force (was buried in Ottawa).

Today Harry lies in Picton (Glenwood) Cemetery (Block 1. Row 10. Grave 14). David Noel Jones lies close by in grave 11.

At the time of his death Harry's parents were living in Bishop's Stortford.