Chelmsford War Memorial Website:
Chelmsford Amateur Athletic Club War Memorial
On 24th January 1948 a memorial tablet to the eight athletes of Chelmsford Athletic Club who fell in the Second World War was unveiled by the Provost, the Very Rev. W. E. Morrow, at the Clubhouse in Waterhouse Lane.
The memorial took the form of a silver shield on which were inscribed the names:
R. M. Davidson,
J. Moore John Edgar Turrell
After the unveiling ceremony the Chelmsford Club competed in cross-country race between Ipswich Harriers, Colchester Harriers, and Cambridge University. A social evening was also arranged for the visiting teams.
The Essex Newsman reported on the unveiling the following week:
"ONE THIRD OF CLUB MEMBERS DIED IN WAR - Memorial unveiled - Of the members of the Chelmsford Amateur Athletic Club who joined the Forces during the Second World War, one-third sacrificed their lives. This was revealed by Mr. Hugh Wright, the President, when a memorial tablet was unveiled to their memory in the Club House, Waterhouse Lane, on Saturday. The memorial takes the form of an attractive engraved silver shield mounted on wood and bearing the eight names. It was presented by the club captain, Mr. Arthur Alchin. The unveiling-ceremony was peiformed by the Provost, the Very Rev. W. E. R. Morrow, who said: 'No one has run a greater race than those who have given their lives for their country'."The "Last Post" was sounded by two A.T.C. Cadets, The Mayor, Alderman A. W. Andrews, was present. The shield is embellished with the borough arms, and bears the inscription 'Lest we forget. This plaque in proud and grateful memory of our colleagues who laid down their lives during the Second Great War'."